No. of Recommendations: 0

My sympathies on your purchase of an annuity.

You can only rollover an annuity into a Roth IRA if you are currently holding the annuity in a traditional IRA. If that's the case, you were screwed twice; once with the high fees and second time with the fact that an annuity shouldn't be held in an IRA -- it's already a tax-advantaged vehicle.

If you are holding the annuity in an IRA, you could sell it, but since it's only 2 years old there are probably surrender fees. You usually have to hold an annuity for 6 or 7 years before you can switch out of it without paying surrender charges. You need to calculate the difference between the annual fees you're paying on the annuity and how much you could save on fees in an alternative investment. If the annual fees on the annuity are high enough, it might make sense to pay the surrender charge to get out of the annuity.

If you are NOT holding the annuity in an IRA, you might look at a "1035 exchange." This allows you switch your annuity to a low-fee annuity provider like Vanguard without triggering any taxes. Surrender charges would still apply, so you'll need to make the calculation regarding fees outlined in the paragraph above.

Fool on.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.