Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
foo1bar: Personally I'd avoid that type of scenario where it's at best an unknown. It sounds like you're looking to play cute with the IRS and IMO that'll probably come back to bite you.
------------------------------------
jrice: I appreciate the reference. As for your slur on my character, not so much.

====================================
I wouldn't call that a slur upon your character; don't take it as such. To some in this corner, playing cute with the IRS is an art form. If you do it right, (meaning the law is on your side,) more power to you.

But to most sober-minded tax accountants, the suggested transaction is a little odd, to put it charitably.

You propose selling stock at a loss, and parking the cash over 30 days, while you sell a put on the same stock, creating a contingent liability to buy the stock back at the strike price,
while you hope the option expires, thereby keeping the option proceeds along with the stock proceeds. (I'll assume the option is sold for more or less about the price you sold for.)

So the question is, how likely is it that the option is "virtually certain to be exercised?" The longer you go over 30 days, the less certain it will or won't be exercised. But the more risk there is on options you write, also.

If the stock price goes back up, the put holder won't exercise at the strike price because he can sell stock at the higher market price. So his option will expire worthless, you get to keep the option premium, along with the stock proceeds, but you might not have enough to buy back the stock if you want it. And writing puts is supposed to be kind of an insurance strategy.

So the longer you hang out there, the more likely the loss will be legit. (Not a wash sale.) But it's a gray area, since "virtually certain" is not defined anywhere, really. So it strikes the thoughtful reader as a transaction done for tax purposes only. Which some might call "playing cute with the IRS."

Really, so is selling at a loss and buying back in 32 days, but that's a black-and-white kind of cute. Totally legit. The put option approach is more like 50 shades of gray. So if you like kinky type transactions you take your chances.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.