Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
foo1bar,

You wrote, "middle class" and "rich" are not terms with hard definitions.
But let's use $150K as a dividing line (why? 1> it's more than 2X median national income **; 2> it's the start of the 28% bracket (below that is 25%)

I was wondering if Wikipedia offered any help here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United...

This page suggests the upper class are the top 1% in income and arguably the top 5% are rich.

The 1% criteria seems to fit definitions casually used by others on other Google search hits.

You also wrote, If the small business owner is paying 39.6% then they have earnings of over $400k.
When you're making >$400k a year I do not think you are middle class. (and I think most people would agree)

This clearly seems to fit the upper class definition, since less than 1% of all tax returns report $400K or more in income.

FWIW I seem to be considered upper-middle class, based on income.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.