Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
After repeatedly hearing my number one holding, Qualcomm, referred to as a gorilla, I decided to seek a definition of the term. That led me to this board and subsequently to purchase The Gorilla Game.

I'd like to throw out a couple of possible gorilla technologies in the making. Please give feedback as to why these will or will not produce tornado and/or a gorilla.

1) Fuel cells. There's been a lot of momentum in this category recently and it seems Plug Power (PLUG), backed by GE, is the "leader" in the residential market. I say "leader" because they have yet to sell even a single unit and don't plan to do so until 2001 (not even approaching the chasm yet).

2) DVD. Where is DVD on the timeline? I feel its in the tornado. For a while, the pragmatists resisted, but now its beginning to garner widespread acceptance. I feel there was a discontinuous innovation here, but who stands to benefit? Certainly not the guys building the commoditized players. Who controls the enabling technology? Is the gorilla to be found in the software that is used to produce DVD titles? Should we look to the competing emerging recordable DVD standards for a gorilla?

3) Wireless. This is a biggie. Does the fact that Qualcomm licenses its CDMA technology bar it from being a gorilla? Obviously, this is an important move and succeeded in making CDMA the de facto standard going forward. It seems everyone is adopting CDMA because everyone else is. This is the old "no one ever got fired for choosing CDMA" argument. To be considered a gorilla, wouldn't Qualcomm have to cease licensing much like Intel did after its 8088 and 8086 processors? Or is Qualcomm already a gorilla and just can't possibly meet demand. Should the licensing be considered outsourcing production of its chips. Will Qualcomm's HDR technology (utilizing CDMA, I believe) propel it to gorilla status as this is certainly proprietary.

This post may have been a little long-winded, but I'm new to the gorilla game. I'm looking for responses that will present arguments to support or refute gorilla habitats. I'm trying to learn what to look for in emerging technologies to help me identify gorilla candidates.

Your help is appreciated.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.