Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My DW and I are thinking about getting a food processor. Any thoughts or advice?

BG
Print the post Back To Top
RE: BG: "getting a food processor"

I have a medium size simple Cuisinart that's served me well:

http://www.cuisinart.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi/en/item.cgi?item_id=DLC-5

I think I paid less than $100 from some sale catalog.

SB (One thing you might not believe until you've tried it is how well it kneads dough!)

No. of Recommendations: 4
I have a Hamilton Beach that is both a food processor and a blender. One base, two tops.

And the top from my old Hamilton Beach blender still fit so I have one food processing top and two blender tops. Works great.

Use the food processor to mix up salsa, then make one blender of daiquiris and one blender of margaritas and you have instant party! :)
I also have a Hamilton Beach processor.

I got a very cheap one (I don't remember how much - maybe $20) because I wasn't cooking very often. My only objection (which may be true of all processors) is when using the upper blade (slicing and grating) food tends to get down to the bottom 1/2 inch and then get dragged under the lid and jam above the blade.

But it does have an "on" and a "pulse" and it seems to chop uniformly. That's really all I needed it for. So I got what I paid for and then some.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I love my Kitchen Aid....they are expensive but sometimes Amazon.com has great sales on them, that's how I got mine. It's the same one Emerril uses on his show.

Kathy
No. of Recommendations: 5
Yuh said, "I love my Kitchen Aid....they are expensive but sometimes Amazon.com has great sales on them, that's how I got mine. It's the same one Emerril uses on his show."

Must be a hassle ... sending dat food processor forth and back ever' time yuh want tuh use it!! :)

DeColonelCAF
I also have the KitchenAid which I like a lot. It came with the regular size bowl and a smaller one which I probably use more often than not. I bought the KitchenAid (rather than Cuisinart) because it was recommended by Cooks Illustrated the year I bought it (probably 2001).

A
No. of Recommendations: 1
Get the biggest one that you can afford. I love the Cuisart (which as on poster already mentioned cost less than $100.00). It has a 7 cup bowl, which is great, but there are times when I wish I had a bigger bowl...particularly when using it for dough. Also, in the Cuisinart brand, the 7 cup doesn't come with a plastic dough blade. (Though the metal blade does seem to do just fine.)

B--

I love my KitchenAide also. My only complaint is that shortly after getting mine, they started selling a container to hold the blades, but only with the new processors; I can't buy it separately. So make sure you can get something to store the blades.
And buy one a little bigger than you think you need. You can always make less than the bowl holds, but you can't do more. And with liquids, such as filling for quiche, the amount that it holds can be less than the stated amount (because the liquid can run out where the blade spindle is).

David
If you are looking for a good FP, Amazon has the Kitchen Aid KFP600 on sale today for $149 - $25 coupon - $30 rebate = $95

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SGE2/ref%3Dnosim/slickdeals/104-1249603-1615129

Use coupon: MAYREBATEKHO