Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I am borderline type-2 (sometimes called adult onset diabetes), where I am maintaining my glucose levels through diet and alleged exercise. My goal is to put off having to control my sugars through medication for as long as possible. Sure I take aspirin and a daily ace inhibitor, but that is more preventive than management.

So I went to the grocery store this past weekend, armed with a $200 gift card (see the CC forum for more details), and proceeded to stock up on foods I can eat. I try to buy by label, focusing on items with carb content within my 60g/meal diet. My goal is to satisfy my hunger without exceeding my limits. (BTW, my cholesterol is in great shape, so I am less {but not completely un) concerned about calories and fat content).

So here is what I bought at the grocery store. 24 cans each of Diet Vanilla Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Diet Root Beer (Barques), Diet Coke with Lemon (and even a six-pack of diet cream soda). I also bought 6 bottles each of diet snapple and low-carb flavored water for after trips on my treadmill, a bottle of wine and 2 six-packs of Zima.

In terms of substance, I bought some pre-cooked meals ready to eat (Meatloaf, beef tips in gravy, chicken casserole, barbecue), and my absolute favore, Bubba Burgers. I bought some Natures Own reduced carb bread (7 grams per slice), sandwich meat, and gourmayo for work lunches, 4 6-packs of sugar-free jello cups, one 6-pack of no-sugar-added applesauce (12g/cup), and 2 4-packs of Dole sugar-free fruit gels (13g/cup).

I also bought some stuff that falls under the "It's OK if your responsibile" category. I was forced into a 6-pack of Oreo Jello pudding cups (26g/cup), a box of Klondike no-sugar-added ice cream sandwich bears (24g/which), and a container of Eddy's no-sugar-added Neopolitan ice cream (13g/half cup). Usually I get home about 7:30pm and eat dinner. I take a softdrink and desert around 11pm (3 hours after dinner) before bed.

So how do you food shop for diabeties?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.