Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
FoolBalance says

Originally, it was said that OSX on a G3 machine, iBooks for instance, was a promise that could only be reasonably met by a G4 machine. It was too slow. So, while you got a feel for its beauty, its capabilities, it was only a promise of how great it could be. It was not something you would want to use every day for every day work.
10.1 has, IMO, removed that fault. 10.1 runs on a G3 well enough to use it, work with it, be productive with it. And that is cool.
When was the last time you heard of a new release of an OS lowering the practical systems requirements bar?

Excellent point. I've been running OS X on my 366MHz iBook SE with 192MB of RAM and a 6GB drive. 10.0 was definitely not fast enough, while 10.1 definitely is (I wish the drive was bigger, though).

I do believe it would be great on my daughter's Rev. B 266MHz iMac with 192 MB of RAM, except that the hard drive is only 4MB and that really isn't enough.

crassfool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.