No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All -

I would like to kick-off a trial run of a new way of learning here on the Hidden Gems boards in the Getting Started Board (see message: <http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20189642> ).

Socrates was known for teaching in a dialog style, where a subject would be raised - often by the student - and he as the teacher would ask questions to help guide the student to knowledge.

Much of what we know about Socrates and the knowledge of the ancient Greeks is drawn from these dialogs as captured by Socrates' student Plato.

This style of teaching, where the teacher does little or no lecturing and a lot of question asking, has come down to use by the name of "Socratic Dialog".

When looking at the world of stock analysis, it become clear to me that the techniques of the "Socratic Dialog" were extremely well suited to teaching and performing stock analysis.

With this in mind, I want to kick-off the trial of the "Foolish Socratic Dialogs" in the "Getting Started" board, and to this end am soliciting victims - I mean volunteers - to particpate.

If you participate, I ask that you post a new thread on this board with the title "FSD for STOCK_SYMBOL". Your first message should describe the business (think of what is posted in the snapshots of companies under "Quotes & Date") and what you like about it and why you like it.

I - and hope others like 1000, AdmiralTroll, TomG, etc. - will pose questions to help you dig into the stock and build up a good picture of it.

The end goal of the exercise will be reached when I pose the question: "Would you buy this stock". I will do this, when we have explored it fully.

You can think of this as an extended version of the "Dueling Fools" from Motley Fool Stock Advisor or "Hidden Gems Q&A".

It is my hope that by participating in th Foolish Socratic Dialog you will get a good analysis of a stock and sharpen your stock analysis skills. Hopefully, the questions will force you to dig deep, learn, an apply that knowledge. Sometimes you will find a question will have pointers to other sources of information or background material. Material tha you will have to plow through prior to answering the question I posed.

To make the FSD work will require a commitment on the part of both the "student" and the "teacher". I commit to forming and asking good questions following your initial posting and after you respond to each question. Your commitment is to be serious about learning how to and answering the question posed.

Are you game? If so, then let the dialogs begin!

Yours,

Jordan Dea-Mattson
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.