Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Has anybody appplied any of the Foolish stock strategies to the Aussie All Ords index?
Print the post Back To Top
I have applied the Foolish Four (RP variation) approach to the Aust All Ords. I used the ASX 50 Ldrs index to pick the major companies.

I have been running it for two months now and it is up in total value. The only difference was I took the top 5 companies. Four out of the five companies are up and one is down by 16 cents/share. The total portfolio is up by 5.41%. It is at least matching and is probably ahead of the All Ords index.

The companies that I am currently running with are GIO, BOR, CSR, NDY, and PDP.

When I looked at the ASX 50 Ldrs index there are some Property Trusts and option shares listed in it. I culled these out as there is a strong chance that these are valued differently to ordinary shares.
The stock picks appear to be gd on ppr. The Ppty Trusts should not be avoided. With Westfield for one, being consistent.

Apply the P/E ratios to this baby and it is a returner with capital growth long term.
I have applied the Foolish Four (RP variation) approach to the Aust All Ords. I used the ASX 50 Ldrs index to pick the major companies.

I have been running it for two months now and it is up in total value. The only difference was I took the top 5 companies. Four out of the five
companies are up and one is down by 16 cents/share. The total portfolio is up by 5.41%. It is at least matching and is probably ahead of the All Ords
index.

The companies that I am currently running with are GIO, BOR, CSR, NDY, and PDP.

When I looked at the ASX 50 Ldrs index there are some Property Trusts and option shares listed in it. I culled these out as there is a strong chance
that these are valued differently to ordinary shares.

Please forgive my ignorance : but what is the ASX 50 L drs index?
And do you have any idea how this is generated?

And while I am thinking about it - does your Austarlian Foolish strategy have you changing stocks on the first day of the callender year (as in the USA) or on the first day of the Australian fincial year (July 1st)?

Zeki
The ASX 50 Ldrs is a list of the top 50 companies by total value of the shares. A list of companies that are in this index can be obtained from www.tradingroom.com.au in the Index view section. Alternatively the Weekend Australian has the top 150 companies by value and you could take the top 50 companies list from that.

As to when to trade the shares I haven't seen any back testing that suggest that trading on one month is better than any other. Different companies announce their dividends at differnt times so I'm just going to trade on 1 year and a day to get full indexation.

Someone else may be able to shed some light on this.

Kevin
Do property trusts tend to act the same as shares in a company? The property trust units would have some component on the value of the property they hold or administer.

Would this mean that periods of low inflation would give less capital growth on the properties.

I only omitted them because I couldn't find any data on whether to include them as they are not strictly a share but units.

Kevin