Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
foolishlypoor wrote:
I just read your profile and it says you are 37 and recently retired.

Well I better run and fix that profile, wow, no more late night thinking projects.

I have just recently (11 months now) retired, but I am not 37, I turned 60 earlier this year.

Sorry about the confusion.

But having said that, I can also say, by pumping some money for a long time into company stock (Ford, Loral plus some others that were Wise) for a long time, and then maxing out on the company contributions and 401k I am pretty sure I will be ok.

I did one smart thing (Foolish thing) and that was to get rid of credit card debt and never let it get started again, way early in my career. I love credit cards but not the interest, so I strongly believe you have taken a very significant first step already.

The rest was just luck as I never had much choice in how to invest (sorta like you) and in the beginning it was just the option to invest in Ford, but the company matched and that was before 401 K even.

But over the long haul, Ford has been a great stock for me.

In May (of this year) I finally moved my 401k funds to an IRA so I can start to manage (or mismanage) them.

The other thing that I think you are doing right is getting started as young as you are, I let 10 years go by before I started.

Compounding and luck are hard to beat.

You should have seen me last November as I found out that my dream of someone else managing my assests were torn away by the Fools and their book (MFIG).
Panic might be a bit strong but.....

Anyhow I have tried to learn at a great rate of knots since then, so the one thing that I can say is I have not been bored with retirement so far, and then there is also learning to bank via computer etc.
Hell I never owned Quicken till last November (was the first thing I did, try to figure out where I really was, I sorta knew in general but...).

And I, like you, have been getting smarter (more Foolish???) by using this site and books and maybe before I die I will know what I should have 30 years ago.

But hey sometimes it is better to be lucky than good
(or Foolish).

Look in the Fribble archive for Tom Guy, "Another road to fooldom" (about a week ago) for more if you are interested.

http://www.fool.com/Fribble/1998/Fribble980924.htm

(Lol, sorry but I am laffing as I take out this brazen plug for my fribble and this is like the third try at posting a link, man, I just love this internet stuff)

Thanks for asking

oldred22
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.