No. of Recommendations: 0
<<My research indicates that if I convert to a Roth, that a rollover of the Thrift Savings Plan
funds would NOT be permitted. If I decide that the Roth conversion makes sense can an additional regular IRA be established to receive the proceeds of a
rollover from my Government plan?>>

If I understand your post (& the laws!) correctly, it's true that a 401K cannot be converted directly into a Roth IRA. However, as the second part of your your post quoted above indicates, it's perfectly legal to use a Traditional IRA as a conduit account. IOW, rollover the TSP into a Trad. IRA & then convert that money to a Roth. You don't have to open a new account to do this, just leave some token amount of money in the account after the first Roth conversion. Or, talk to your custodian, maybe they'll allow the account to exist in a dormant state, cash-free standing by for your retirement & TSP rollover.


PS- It's PixY! ;-)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.