Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1

While I wasn't really expecting an answer in my favor ... or expert advice one way or another, I was hoping someone might be willing to express some kind of opinion - even if it's to just call me crazy for asking.

At this point I'm assuming I can't deduct these legal expenses from the sale price - even though that would be logical. After all, you often can't apply logic to the IRS.

What is frustrating here is that when in doubt (and the amount isn't too significant), the default action seems to be to just pay up. I was hoping someone would either confirm that they thought paying it was the right thing to do ... or that I might be on the right track with treating it as a selling expense and should talk to a CPA again.

- Joel
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.