Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 14
footsox: "Hi guys, Thanks again. I have done some Googling. Since I am over 59.5 years old, and have held the ROTH CD for over 5 years, then me cashing out the Roth CD at the credit union is then a "qualified distribution" and I will not have to pay the 10% penalty. OK. I finally get that.
However, won't it count toward my gross income for this tax year?"

No, it will not count as gross income based upon the facts you have reported to us.

"So, I can then just cash it out and deposit it to my normal Etrade account?"

Technically, yes, but there are several reasons not to do it that way, which have been discusssed in this thread.

"Forgive me for my denseness. I was just trying to simplify my darn credit union accounts and this is kind of a straggler. My other Roth accounts are in Etrade, so I wanted to get them all in one place."

Not a problem, but I am not sure you understand and you have a terminology problem.

First, think about it the way rad wrote:

reallyalldone: "Here’s the most important piece you need to understand — you have a CD from your credit union in a Roth IRA. Please read that again. Not understanding this piece is impacting everything else."

next, aj spelled out the best method:

aj485: "Tell the CU that you want to open a money market or savings account in the Roth IRA at the CU, then cash out the CD and the proceeds deposited into the new account in the Roth IRA at the CU. Have E-Trade contact the CU to take the cash (and any interest that may have accrued) and transfer it to E-Trade."

I will try in other words, and more detailed steps:

1. Contact your credit union and tell them you want to break the certificate of deposit/terminate it early. Sometimes this involves a penalty but you have reported that your CU does not charge one.

2. While talking to the CU, inform them that you want the proceeds of the broken CD to remain in a/the Roth IRA and open a money market in the Roth IRA at the CU to receive the proceeds.

3. While talking to the CU, ask when the funds will be available from the money market account in the Roth IRA at the CU.

4. After the date the funds become available in the money market account in the Roth IRA at the CU, again contact Etrade and request that they assist with doing a trustee to trustee transfer of the funds in money market account in the Roth IRA at the CU to your ETrade Roth IRA at Etrade.

5. After the trustee to trustee transfer is complete confirm tha you will not be charged any account fees at the CU for the zero balance money market account in your Roth IRA at the CU; if yes, you likely want to close it.

Ask more questions if you still do not understand.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.