Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1

There are several separate issues:

1.) Cashing in a CD early likely will incur penalties.
Whether or not you want to take the penalty (separate from any IRS or state penalties for early withdrawal) depends on the penalty and the remaining duration of the CD.

2.) Brokers including E-Trade had a different type of CD than credit unions.
It isn't possible to transfer the credit union CD to E-Trade.

3.) You are over 59 1/2 and the ROTH IRA is over 5 years old
Assuming that the funds were contributed and not converted then you can distribute the ROTH IRA without incurring income taxes or penalties.

4.) One non-trustee to trustee rollover per 12 months is allowed. You could distribute the ROTH IRA and do a non-trustee to trustee if you want to keep the funds in a ROTH IRA but a trustee-to-trustee is a better choice. One the CD has matured or been liquidated within the ROTH then E-Trade can issue the request to rollover the ROTH IRA.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.