No. of Recommendations: 6
For any given taxable account in a single bank or credit union (or multiple accounts in the same name or names) FDIC or NCUA insurance covers $100,000 for an indiviudal account and $200,000 for a joint account. This would inclde CDs, savings, money, checking. A couple can get $400,000 by having a joint account and two individual accounts, with the spouse named as beneficiary. In addition, each person can have an individual Traditional IRA insured for up to $250,000 and, I believe, a Roth insured up to $250,000. But you can't get around the limits by having different taxable accounts or having CDs treated separately from savings/checking/money market.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.