Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
For Case A, the entire $SS70 comes from the SSA.

For Case B, you get $SS62 from the SSA, and the shortfall ($SS70 - $SS62) is taken from the investment account.

In each case, you get $SS70 per month.

The question is: How long does this investment account last before it is depleted? That's the crossover point. The higher the earnings are, the longer the account will last. At a high enough return, that account will NEVER be depleted. - rayvt

-----------------

Thanks Ray, that is clearest and most succinct explanation of this tradeoff that I have seen.

I waited to 70 so that ship has sailed for me, but just to add to the conversation, I will point out that in my case, had I started taking SS at 62, that extra income would have diminished my capacity to do Roth Conversion during those eight years.

Note my Roth conversion max was a self imposed limit based on the top of the bracket I was targeting, not any sort of IRS limit. Most here know that but stating just for clarity.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.