Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
For example, the national suicide rate is about 0.01%. If it doubles to 0.02%, then that isn't significant.

Suicide is a valid point, but it's not the stat that moves me much. Yes, if there were no firearms there would be a lot of "second chances", i.e. people would survive suicide attempts more frequently. What I think is more significant is that a gun in the home is 22x more likely to be used against someone in the home than an intruder. That included suicides, domestic violence, and people having the weapons taken from them and turned on them (i.e. it's a lot harder for some people actually to pull the trigger when they are confronted with that situation, and if they don't do it then it is turned against them).

So really the notion that it's for "safety/security" is absurd. It is 22x more likely to harm a household than help it. A few years ago I actually posted about that, running the numbers from the available data, and I got the same value (22x).

The firearm safety displayed by your coworker should be standard, but I fear he is the exception not the rule. 1poormom had a firearm, but she had no safe or trigger lock. It was wrapped in a gun cleaning cloth and placed on her nightstand. No chance of children gaining access, but she wasn't obeying any of the firearm safety rules. When I had to move her to a facility I sold it to a firearm-enthusiast coworker (one whom I had confidence took safety seriously). I wouldn't have sold it to "just anyone", nor a pawn (or similar) shop that may have questionable screening of buyers. I had high confidence in my coworker, whom I've known for 20 years. If he were not interested, I probably would have sought how to have it destroyed.

I would prefer a system wherein I would have been unable to have a private sale at all, but that's not the system we have. So I had to be as responsible as I could in whom I sold it to.

But back to the statistic, 22x is staggering to me. Which is one reason (of several) that we have no firearm in our house. Though I do have nunchaku and cais.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.