No. of Recommendations: 5
For example when did GZ identify himself as Neigborhood Watch?

Why would he have had to? There's no requirement to do so and it seems that he was on an errand when he saw Trayvon (from what I recall), not on any organized patrol.

Basically he was doing what every citizen should do, keeping an eye on their neighborhood. You don't need any NW credentials to do that. Hell, it's your DUTY to do that IMHO. You see something you say something, that's called being a responsible citizen and looking out for your neighbors.

That's my one gripe with Neighborhood Watch programs. The people not involved see it as "not my problem" when in reality it's EVERYONE'S problem. If I see someone snooping around my neighbor's home I'm not just going to say "meh, not my house", damn right I'll be calling the cops and confronting them, and no way in hell I'm doing so unarmed because, as it turns out, bad guys are sometimes dangerous. Maybe they're high as a kite, or just out of prison, or have warrants, or God only knows. But I wouldn't sit there and say "not my problem". I don't even get that mindset, frankly. I see it all the time and, really, it pisses me off. I've seen reports of people kicking in doors where, after the investigation people came forward and said "I saw it but didn't think I should call because maybe it was nothing." NOTHING? You call the cops at the very least.

Know what I think it is? The liberals have so abandoned the concept of personal responsibility and accepted the state as their guardians that the idea of someone taking responsibility is... really a threat to their ideology. If so, that's just sad.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.