Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
For instance, if you are employed within NYS but telecommute from another state, your income is still subject to NY taxation

I believe that's the situation with most states. Living in income-tax-free WA doesn't exempt you from OR tax on your earnings if you commute to OR for work.

But spending a couple of weeks per year in a vacation home shouldn't make you a full-year tax resident.

Twelve or so years ago CA was trying to collect tax from residents of other states who were taking withdrawls from their IRAs and 401ks that they had contributed to while previously living in CA. Nevada wouldn't cooperate, refusing to let CA grab money from former residents now living in NV. I hope NY's neighboring states do something similar to protect their residents against NY's rapaciousness. Of course, NY can always put liens on those vacation homes.

--fleg, who if he ever finds himself in NY again will pay cash for his hotel room and use a fake name--you never know.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.