Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
For Jews to call other Jews racists, absent any evidence at all, is (unfortunately) not shocking.

I've come to expect it.

That still doesn't make it true. I find racism deeply offensive, and I find the absolutely false charge that I'm a racist offensive in the extreme.

I also can't help but wonder if your calling me a racist is a violation of Fool rules.

I don't know if you're racist. I do know that many Jews in Israel are racists, and there's plenty of evidence of it. I meet some of them regularly. I hear them express racist views that are quite main stream in Israel.

If you aren't racist, then it baffles me that you can support an American president who obviously is racist. He expresses views, and promotes policies, that are clearly racist - not particularly against Jews, but clearly against other groups. With regard to Jews, he's a little more nuanced, but he is supported if not allied with the most virulently anti-semitic groups in America. He speaks their language, he shares some of their views, and he takes particular care NOT to distance himself from them, let alone reject them.

I find a huge dissonance between Jews saying "never again" and being racist. Many Jews that I've talked to fail to understand this dissonance. My interpretation of "never again" is that the lesson of the holocaust is that we should never allow racism in any form to raise its head again. As victims ourselves, we should never allow anyone else to become a victim of racism. Many Jews, particularly Israelis, don't understand it that way. To them, "never again" means Jews will never again be led to slaughter. It's a tribal thing. WE will never allow THEM to kill us. But WE don't really care if THEY do it to someone else. Or for that matter, it's okay if WE do it to someone else.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.