Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
For me, the real work of keeping the house clean is keeping stuff picked up. Every single member of my family seems to create a semi-circle of stuff around themselves everytime single they sit down. They get up, move on, and create another mess, never stopping to pick up the papers, books, cords, dishes, dirty socks, etc., that they've left behind.

If stuff is picked up and put away, I don't have any problem vacuuming, dusting, cleaning floors, cleaning toilets. That seems pretty easy to me.

And, you can't really pay someone to pick up after people, because they don't know where to put stuff and what might be important and what should be thrown away.

Hiring a cleaning service (who dusted, vacuumed, cleaned floors, and the bathroom/kitchen but would not open closets, drawers or move anything) is what made me stay on top of picking things up. Every week we had a pick-up party the day before the maids came so they would utilize their time most efficiently and clean more.

I haven't had them in a year. The place is a shambles.

MOI
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.