Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
For some reason, my attorney prefers the clients keep the original signed documents, so mine and my dad's are in my fire safe in my home office closet. (I keep the safe unlocked, but there's a key in the file cabinet in case it gets locked accidentally.)

The lawyer keeps scanned copies, and sends (password-protected) pdf's to interested authorized parties. About a year ago I gave him the green light to send Dad's documents to any of my siblings who requested them. One absentee sister, in response to my putting Dad into assisted living and moving toward disposing of his possessions and selling his house, had reacted by asking for a copy of the will. She claimed it might help in the decision-making process. She found, I'm sure, that it didn't. It just said that I, as POA and Trustee, have all the decision-making discretion and responsibility. But, she's named as Personal Representative, so she should have a copy of the documents anyway, and since she has them now it'll be one less thing to ask about later.
An absentee brother wanted to see the documents to confirm his belief that he had equal say in everything, and that I should consult with him and follow his direction on how to do things. The documents were probably a disappointment to him, too.

Anyway, the documents are in my office. My kids know where to find them, and also know to contact the attorney with any questions. I included a list of assets (naming bank or brokerage where they're located), with the ownership (trust, joint, individual, etc) and value for each.
I updated this recently because I went through all my papers as part of a move. My intention is to update it annually, going forward.
I didn't list account numbers or online ID's and passwords. With our names, SSN's, and death certs, the kids should be able to get whatever info they need from the banks, brokerages, etc.

I also included draft obits. :) I've seen way too many badly-written obits lately, because the next of kin had to put something together while in the throes of grief.

Btw, for my dad, I bought a pre-paid funeral (cremation and simple memorial service, although if it happens during the pandemic of course we'll forgo the service). I'll probably do the same for DH and myself at some point. If we die before then, well, the kids'll just have to figure something out. We don't really have any preferences.

HTH.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.