Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
For the discussion of the next Netflix...Arista does not qualify for that conversation. They are not a mass market brand. They have brand power as you expect something when you buy Arista, but that is the small world of database engineers and IT directors. Large dollar wise of course, but not a mass market.

Of the companies we follow there is NVDA (a mass market brand, that serious gamers choose to buy because it is Nvidia - PC buyers, to a lesser extent - and otherwise brand power like Arista has (but greater) selling into data centers and edge AI solutions) that already is the next Netflix, so cannot say it is the "next" Netflix. Arguably Netflix may wish they were Nvidia as I believe Nvidia has greater growth potential, although Netflix may be less subject to discontinuous innovation or substitution in the future (tbd). But both are singular.

So that leaves SHOP. Of the companies we follow, SHOP is the one that appears to best qualify as the next "Netflix". Like Netflix it sells solutions on top of a platform that is mostly enabled by others, but improved on by SHOP (or Netflix) as it sells to a mass market.

There are of course differences, as i have brought up before based upon selling to consumers vs. merchants, but in the end SHOP has become nearly as singular as Netflix. People buy SHOP because of who SHOP is as much as trying to compare products.

Tinker

Yes, yes, you might have guessed I bought back SHOP during the last crash (of many - market close whatever day that was). My trade out was worthwhile, but one cannot deny that SHOP is singular, and if they can move upscale...that dramatically increases the potential of SHOP, giving SHOP Salesforce like potential.

SHOP as a company that just signs up small merchants...that was why I sold out originally as there is a limit to that, but SHOP growing to dominate in B2B and with Shopify Plus...that is something that has bottomless potential.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.