Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
For the most part I stick to domestic REITs, because of the ability to avoid taxes on the dividends in retirement accounts. With foreign REITs you're likely to see some withholding, and it will need to be attractive enough to make up for that. That said there are a number of countries that have developed REIT markets including Australia, Canada, and Japan, with Australia's being the most developed REIT market in the world. Some of these companies are available via the pink sheets. There are also a couple of ETF's whose tickers escape me at the moment that focus on foreign REITs.

The other option are a number of the U.S. REITs that have foreign operations. Two that I find interesting are ProLogis and AMB Properties. Both are in the industrial space and in their international operations sticking to properties that are high specialized and in locations that are truly unique (Ie. in or very close by ports or on tarmac at airports). I haven't looked at either in about a quarter or two, as I thought both were fairly pricey at the time, but they're two I plan to revisit a few times each year.

Best,

Nate
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.