No. of Recommendations: 3
For the TLRA row does the premium cash of $1045.50 mean selling 15 contracts @ $70 each? (which is $1050, not quite the same)

Yes. My broker charges $4.50 in commissions per trade

So if 1500 shares bought at $9.52 are assigned at $10.00, the assign cash would be $720, but yours is 700.50. What am I missing here?

My broker charges $15 in commissions for the assigned option plus the $4.50 commission on buying the stock.

But remember that this exercise is only to compare calls to find the best ones we can expect, the actual trade will be quite different depending on pre market events like futures trading, Trump tweets, whatever. Before one buys the shares one has to check that the options really are as expected, they could be better or worse.

Market lore is that early Monday stocks drop and rebound later in the day. My guess is that people sell based on the news they read over the weekend and after a couple of hours the market goes back to normal, whatever that means. ;) What I have found is that trading early on Monday is not a good idea, wait until around noon. If the market is still down you might not trade at all.

Funny thing, people say selling calls is not risky because 70% of options expire worthless but we want the stock to go up and don't mind getting assigned! Much better than the stock dropping and losing capital.

If the TLRA calls are assigned you make over 12% in 26 days -- CAGR > 500%. If the stock goes down you have a 7.3% downside protection. Better even than sliced bread! ;)

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.