Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
For those of you who are employed, how many months savings do you have in your emergency account? And do you equal the total to X amount of gross or net monthly wages?

Damn good question, Shirehobbit. I’m a contractor, contracting through my own limited company, so my affairs are a little more mixed up than most peoples. I pay myself a good salary, (£45k which is 50% more than the average London wage). Goal number one for the company is to have a float of 3 month’s salary, payroll taxes and pension contributions (401K). This time next year, when I do the 2020 corporate tax return, I’m hoping it’ll be up to 6 months. I consider this the company’s money, not mine. (In Britain, I can’t claim the derisory unemployment benefit - “Jobseeker’s Allowance” of £76/week - unless I make myself redundant from my own company.)

On a personal level, I have a £10k proper Emergency Fund, which sits in a harder-to-reach bank account. That equates to 6 months living expenses. Everything else is quarantined into their own little pots (e.g. holiday money, glasses replacement fund, IT replacement fund). I’m saving a reasonable proportion of my takehome pay each month (25%) towards all those pots of money.

I think one of the best concepts I ever learned on these boards is to Quarantine my savings and investments. I don’t think of this money as mine - it belongs to whatever is the designated savings goal. For instance my car has his own account, into which I pay the mileage I can claim when I travel for work plus (currently) £100/month. The current balance is just over £5,500, which will pay for insurance, repairs, etc, and part of the way to a replacement when the worst happens. It’s not my money, it’s Lucky Car’s.

Another example: my rental property’s emergency fund (£5k) is held separately. The current tenants are moving out soon and I expect to pay £3k in refurbishment costs. That will be replenished by the rent I receive from the new tenants.

HTH

- Pip
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.