No. of Recommendations: 3
US Supreme Court sent back a lawsuit against Ford to a lower court for review. According to the WSJ, the person killed was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown through the driver's side window as the pickup rolled several times, and was killed. The plaintiff contends that Ford is liable because it chose to install glass that was more easily broken than an alternative (both types were available and regulations left the decision up to the company).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870461550457617...

From my high school days, when I chose wearing seat belts as my topic for a speech class assignment, I've felt that those who don't wear seat belts, to put it bluntly, deserve what happens to them in a crash. Wearing a seat belt is the single most important factor in surviving a crash. I have never let anyone ride in a car I was driving without them putting on their seat belt.

Driving, despite all the advances in technology over the decades, is not a safe activity. Not when people are moving 1000 pounds or more of metal and plastic around roads at 88 feet per second or higher (that's 60+ mph), holding onto the pavement through (usually) four relatively small surface area contacts.

At some point, people have to accept responsibility for their own decisions.

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.