Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
DW runs our rental properties but I do the taxes. This taxable year (2013) she had negotiated a price for the sale of one of the properties when it was foreclosed and was going to auction. She brought her intended buyer to the auction and he got the property at the price they had negotiated. Then, after the dust settled, we got a check from the bank (that did the foreclosure). It was called "excess funds." We haven't received anything else from the bank at year end (e.g., a 1099). My question is how I report all this on the tax form(s). I'm not even sure what tax forms)(s) I need to use. --Is it just a foreclosure, rather than a sale? (Is that as if we sold the property for $0?) Do I have to go back and do a recapture of all the depreciation we took? Are the "excess funds" reportable as (ordinary) income?

I'd appreciate any help on this. It's probably not the first time that anything like this has ever happened -- but it's the first time that it's happened to me!


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.