Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

I need some advice with a best course of action:

I'm an American citizen working overseas and I get the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE).
Because I have very little “earned income” I am unable to contribute to either a ROTH or traditional IRA and the company I work for does not provide a 401(k).

Because of this, I am putting most of my retirement investments in a taxable brokerage account. I have some real estate investments, as well.

I’m not complaining because my income is tax free (instant 25% return); however, I’m looking to find the best way to save for retirement in my circumstance.

I’m guessing I need to find the most tax efficient stocks (whatever those are) to invest in my taxable account and look long term to avoid capital gains, etc.

Any other ideas?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.