Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm already doing some take planning for 2004. I have worked abroad for 3 years now. I have taken the full exclusion (now around $80,000) every year. My assignment ends in June 2004.

1. If I return to the U.S., can I prorate the exclusion for the six months I was abroad in 2004 (in other words, if the exclusion is $80,000, can I take $40,000).
2. If I decide not to return to the U.S. and stayed out of the U.S. for the 330 of the 365 tax year days (or whatever the numbers are), could I take the full exclusion.

I think the answer to both is "yes" but I feel less than confident.

Thanks so much for you help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.