Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have some questions for this board about qualifying for the Foreign Income Exclusion.

I'm about to move abroad for a period of at least 24 months (to Zurich, in case that's important). I believe I will qualify for the Foreign Income Exclusion using the bona-fide residency test but I wanted to ping this board regarding their experiences about qualifying for the FIE under the BFR. Is there anything I can do domestically that will help my chances, so to speak?

Notes: I do not have a domicile in the U.S. and all my (domestic) mail will be sent to my fiance's apartment in MA. I will NOT have a job in the U.S. but I will have accounts that will earn passive income (interest, dividends, capital gains, and very small amounts of income from units in MLPs). I have an apartment in Zurich that I will pay for myself and my plan is to change my U.S. driver's license into a Swiss one within the first 6 months I am there.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.