Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a relative who is a citizen of an Asian country and lives there permanently. He wants to know if he opens an account with a brokerage firm in the USA and invests in stocks of US companies, will he owe taxes to the US government. He thinks since he will not be living in the USA and hence not using any public facilities or benefits, but rather contributing to the US economy by his investment, he will not be taxed. Plus he will have to pay taxes on his worldwide income back home. So he should not be subject to double taxation. I will appreciate if anyone can enlighten me in this regard. Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.