Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a non US citizen who have been in US for 4 years and will be moving out of the country very soon.
Is there any online bank where I can still maintain my $ account? I tried Amex and Citi f/i, but both of them require a US address. (I do have a Social Security #).

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Previous Post(I am a non US citizen who have been in US for 4 years and will be moving out of the country very soon. Is there any online bank where I can still maintain my $ account? I tried Amex and Citi f/i, but both of them require a US address. (I do have a Social Security #))

I'm somewhat curious of why you have a social security number, not being a US Citizen. Is the US providing social security benifits to foreign nationals?
I'm somewhat curious of why you have a social security number, not being a US Citizen. Is the US providing social security benifits to foreign nationals?

You're forced to get a SSN if you work or pay taxes in the US, regardless of nationality. The SSN doesn't entitle you to any benefits, but is only used for identification purposes.

Of course, this disregards the fact that the original proposal for the social security system expressly prohibited the use of these numbers for identification...
I am a non US citizen who have been in US for 4 years and will be moving out of the country very soon.
Is there any online bank where I can still maintain my $ account? I tried Amex and Citi f/i, but both of them require a US address. (I do have a Social Security #).

Oops! Sorry, I messed up the formatting in my reply. Now I just need to figure out how to cancel a post. Here is the same reply formatted nicer:

I've searched for a US online bank that will allow a foreign address. The one I found is NetBank (www.netbank.com).

The ones I found that require a US mailing address are: BankDirect,
Compubank, Everbank, First Internet Bank, Security First Network Bank
(SFNB), and WingspanBank.

-mjfroe