Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have been in USA for last 2 years and have filed my Tax return as a Resident Alien. Since June 99 my husband has joined me here as my dependent. He worked in UK till May this year and before coming here he paid all his Taxes in UK. At present he is not working- which means he has no earned income in US. At the end of this year how do we file our returns- joint or separately( As because of his presence in US for more than 6 months he is also a Resident Alien)? Secondly, the most important question -will he have to pay US tax on the income which has already been fully taxed in UK ? Unfortunately, the UK Tax year is 1st May to 30 April, unlike US which is JAN to December. I did talk to IRS on phone but the person had no clue as to how will this work

He does have all his Tax records from UK- but they are from May to April, hence difficult to make out his Tax from Jan to April in UK to report to IRS.

I would highly appreciate any help on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.