Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I see from my brokerage statements that various foreign taxes are being withheld from my traditional IRA, e.g.

15% Taxes Withheld on Royal Dutch Shell


The amounts don't total up to a lot (about $100), but the brokerage said they don't provide any type of statement to document these deductions. Their explanation (which I don't really understand) is this:

When foreign investments are held in a US account (including retirement accounts), the foreign government may require a portion of the dividend be withheld for taxes. It is not reported on a 1099R and because it is in a tax deferred account, they cannot claim it when filing taxes. Raymond James does not have any way of making claims to foreign countries to get the withholdings back.

It seems they are telling me "don't worry about it", but that doesn't seem right.

What say you all? I'm rather at sea on this one....
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.