Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have just noticed that an account for a stock purchase plan through my employer is actually a foreign account that needs to be reported on Form 8938 (and also on treasury department form TD F 90-22.1). I filed both forms for my 2011 personal income tax return, but did not list that account on either form. Of course I declared the income from that account.

- So I am assuming that I need to file an amended return for 2011, correct?

- If so, is it correct that I also need to send in Form 1040X (even though there is no change in tax liability) in addition to Form 8938?

- Do I also need to send in a new form TD F 90-22.1 or will it be sufficient to add that account to my form for the 2012 return?

Thank you in advance for any help on the matter,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.