Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was curious... of the implications of putting a foreign stock such as CTC(Chile) or CHT(Taiwan) which give out dividends into a Roth IRA.. Currently I get taxed from foreign taxes, but I know I can recoup some of that via Form 1116 included with Form 1040. The max you can recoup is $600.00 to my limited understanding... how would it be different in a Roth (which is tax advantaged). To my limited understanding you can only have one tax advantage... so does this mean I would not be able to file Form 1116 and recoup some of the foreign taxes I paid for dividends within the company? thanks...

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.