Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, another gift question:

If I pay off somebody's student loans (over the gift limit) by paying the lender directly, would Form 709 be required?

My understanding is that if I pay tuition, room & board, etc, directly to a university, gift limits don't apply, whereas if I gave the same amounts to the student, they would. So I'm wondering if the same logic applies to student loans.

I'm not against adding a Form 709. (My estate is small enough it won't make a difference in taxes owed anyway.) But if it's not required, I'd just as soon skip it.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.