Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently realized that I did non file Form 8606 for a couple of years when I made contributions to a non-deductible IRA.

Do I need to file amended tax returns for those years? Or is there some way I can just file the appropriate 8606's?

TIA.

Christina
Print the post Back To Top
It's my opinion that (a) you need to file a whole amended return, and (b) you can only do so for the last three years.

However, others have reported the IRS accepting amended returns filed for more than 3 years ago, as long as you're not claiming a refund for taxes owed.

But I'm not a tax expert.
chkNYC writes (in part):

Do I need to file amended tax returns for those years? Or is there some way I can just file the appropriate 8606's?

I reply:

A few years ago I forgot to include our Forms 8606. I simply filed them as stand-alone documents a few months later. The only practical difference is that when you file them as stand-alones, you sign them, whereas if you include them with your return, you don't (because you've signed the return as a whole). --Bob
I simply filed them as stand-alone documents a few months later.

Thanks, Bob. I think I'll try that and see what happens.

Christina
Christina - I filed one a few months after my regular return last year, and about a month later, I got a letter back from the IRS telling me that they have added the information to my records.

So, I think just filing the form should work.

Karen