No. of Recommendations: 0
hello everyone!

i just want to make sure that i am crystal clear in regard to completing form 8606 as far as conversions are concerned.

i understand that all non-deductible contributions need to be entered on line 1. lines 2 and 3 comprise of basic math to update the overall basis.

however, in regard to converting:

-if you convert ALL of your traditional ira, you only need to complete Part II to calculate the taxable converted amount.
-if you do a PARTIAL conversion, you need to use PART I to calculate the taxable converted amount.

i did see post # 24376 and i want to verify that my understanding noted above is correct. i'm still shellshocked from some misguidance given by a h&r block tax advisor.

i would appreciate any assistance.


trying to convert from a fool to a Fool.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.