Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am having some difficulty in figuring out Form 8606.

My situation: In 2000 I rolled over 100% of a former 401k distribution into a IRA and then converted 100% of that into a Roth. Due to the value going down about 40%, I then recharacterized the full amount to a traditional IRA. At no point in year 2000 did I contribute any money to any IRA.

My major question has to do with part III. It says to complete part III ONLY if I received a Roth IRA distribution or recharacterized 2000 contributions.
Is recharacterization considered to be a distribution? If it is, then when I fill out the numbers from line 17 thru 27, it shows I have a taxable distribution of the recharacterized amount! Or am I just missing something here?

As it is, I have only filled in part II. If anyone out there has filled out 8606 and is in the same position I am, please respond.

Thanks in advance!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.