Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all. I know this isn't strictly related to investing but I trust members opinions here. Any comments appreciated.

I've filed Sole Prop business taxes on a schedule C for 98, 99 and now 2000. I've always used the standard mileage rate deduction. I traded in my car in 2000 for a new one.

Turbotax now wants to know the cost basis of my old car when I put it in service (June of 98). When I click show form, it's filling out Form 8824. It looks like it's trying to figure out depreciation because of the sale (trade in). Is this necessary? I thought all depreciation was included in the standard mileage rate. Why should it matter that I traded in my car for a new one?

If this form does have to be completed, does anyone know where I can get historical fair market values for a car? Obviously, my biggest problem is I don't have that data. If I did, I'd just complete the form. I need to have cost basis of my old car as of June of 98.

Thanks in advance

Chris Rock
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.