Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Summary: I have an error on my MI and NY taxes found after I filed. Should I sent amended returns now, later, or should I just wait to be contacted by each state?

Background: I filed a 1040 with the IRS, resident tax form in NY, and non-resident taxes in MI.

I file in MI in order to report limited family partnership income, reported on a K-1 (passed onto like 17 on the 1040)

My MI taxable income from the K-1 (my only non-NYC income) was $12,569. However, due to a silly error, when I filled out the non-resident schedule for MI, I stated that my MI income for this line was $14,000. I.e. more than the income I had earned in MI, and more than the entire income earned in total on line 17 of the 1040. The tax software listed "other states income" as "-$1000" on the NR schedule.

This increased my MI tax due by $59. I have already received my refund.

Now for NY taxes, on form IT-112-R (the resident tax credit form where you can claim credit to taxes paid to another state), I have TWO errors. First, I also listed $14,000 as income attributable to MI (instead of $12,569). Correcting this amount does not affect the taxes owed. However, I also listed an incorrect amount for taxes due to MI (higher than actual). Thus I received a credit for taxes paid to MI which was higher than the actual taxes I paid to MI. This resulted in an error in my favor of $119.


1) For MI, where I have received a refund, do I have to file an amended return if the error was in their favor. Suppose I am ok with losing $59 to a stupidity tax. Can I just let them keep the money without causing problems in the future with correcting my NY taxes as #2 below?

2) For NY (where I have not yet received my refund, but expect it any day via direct deposit), should I do anything before I get the refund (assuming they don't catch the error)? If I get the refund for the erroneous amount, should I THEN file an amended return? Or should I wait until (if?) NY catches the error and then respond appropriately to any requests/changes/additional monies?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.