Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
. . is alive and well in most classes of vintage racing. I'm wholly endorsing a weekend spent hearing, smelling, and looking at old cars that have been spared the hell that is a museum.

I split the job early on Friday, humped the VW 350 miles across the land of taverns and roadkill, and spent the weekend at the VSCDA event at Road America.

There were probably 250 cars, and, of course, the greatest thing is the variety: 1933 Studebaker Indy Racer, 1969 Lola T70, 1932 Alfa Romeo Monza, 1994 Benetton Ford. Ther were so many cars; the Austin Healyes, the Trans-Am Camaros, the MG's, the 'Vettes, the Morgans, the Triumphs, Devon, Allard, Elva, Lotus . . . and to see the investment some of these lucky bastards had made in order to tote and maintain their treasure was almost as amazing as the cars screaming around the track.

I stayed 2 nights at a great little b&b in the village, had the world's greatest brats, and got in on the lunchtime touring session; 45 minutes on North America's greatest road course in my own wheels.

6Speed

PS - to the guy in the green Z3, sorry you spent so much on such a gutless car, but remember, it's car AND driver . . .
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.