Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 20
My aunt has always been a sweet, cheery woman. That is until about 5 years ago when she started watching FOX 'news'. I'm not sure how she got started on it, but now it has a grip on her and it has turned her into an angry and frightened 89 year-old. Our phone conversations eventually get around to how terrible everything is and her view of the world is straight out of FOX 'news'. Sad.

I so hate FOX and all it's imitators. Cynical people making money off of people's gullibility.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Happened to my late, great uncle, too. Once he retired in his mid-70s, he spent more time watching tv--mostly Faux Noise. I'm almost glad he didn;t live to see president trumpsky. Despite her exposure, my aunt remained sensible. Of course, she's in her mid-70s now and still works part-time.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have some relatives who are like that. Although they feed on the Fox Krap, I think that their disease predates that media outlet.

My point is that we have people who were raised in a certain culture and have a different view of life. I agree that Fox, etc, has made things much, much worse. But did Fox create them, or did they make Fox what it is today?

It's kinda like the situation with Trump. He's down in Fantasyland and has no official position with the government. Yet the thinking that gave birth to him gives him power. How do we "fix" this? I don't know.

Myself? I avoid those relatives, or at least I will never engage in any political discussion with them. And I have a few ex-friends whom I avoid because I am disgusted with their political views.

Your aunt is right about one thing. Everything seems terrible these days.....because it IS. Until we somehow learn to work together despite political views, we'll have a much harder time dealing with the hardships of life. No better example than the pandemic.
we have people who were raised in a certain culture

Not only. My mother and her brother were raised together in a non-religious, urban poverty household of loyal Democrats (my grandfather, a WWI vet, was a manual laborer all his life). The siblings both "married up," but in my father's case, despite no college, he was highly self-educated and spoke like a professor--and was to Mom's left. My mother did quite a bit of self-educating (reading) as well and took a couple college classes in the arts after meeting my father. And they moved to a middle-upper middle class community to raise kids.

Uncle remained in working class Brooklyn & Queens, hung with the working class guys he always hung with. Salt of the earth, but prejudiced. I always admired his work ethic, athletic skills, and kindness & generosity to family and friends. He lost some of his usual good cheer once he became a fox-bot, though. Anyhow, I loved him despite his latter-day politics.
Recently I read a book that somehow I'd missed reading when I was teaching sixth grade. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart has an evil mastermind convincing people the world is a terrible place, making people angry with each other, and willing to accept simple solutions to complex problem by giving power to the evil mastermind. He does this by broadcasting messages over radio and TV. Sound familiar?