Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Frank,

Don't do it anyway. Call your local dealer with whom you are most comfortagle with...ask to speak to the fleet manager. With the information you have gained from researching Edmonds or Kelly Blue Book, tell the fleet manager "I've been doing some research, and I'm going to buy this car...perhaps over the internet...but I wanted to give my local dealer a try first. I know what Edmonds says invoice is, but can you give me an fair estimate of what you will sell this car for? I know you may not usually do this, but I will not come in and haggle. Can you help me?" Trust me, it will not be hard to find someone to deal with...easier than with a fax in my opinion. If they are not able to respond, move on to the next.

If you are trying to buy a car that is readily in stock, chances are you can get it for the 3% or 4% over dealer invoice. If it is a hard to find car, you will pay more. But ask the fleet manager to justify the price, and see if it makes sense to you. If it does, relax and enjoy the car.

Let me know how it works out or email me if you have any questions.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.