No. of Recommendations: 28
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/23/readersopinions/franken-questions.html

The author and satirist Al Franken answered readers' questions about humor, politics and his new radio venture.

Q. 1. Do you think President Bush knowingly and deliberately lied to the American people about the WMD's used as a causus belli, or is George W. Bush so gullible that he was he completely hoodwinked by Cheney and the pro-war neoconservative crew at the Pentagon so that he actually believed that Iraq had all those WMD stockpiles?

A. Americans have to ask some serious questions about this. What did the president know and, if not, why didn't he know it? If, as may be the case, the president did not understand his intelligence briefings, did he ask to have them explained to him? And did he know that he didn't understand them? These are questions that must be asked repeatedly and in an accusatory tone.

Q. 2. Is George W. Bush unaware that he is intellectually uncurious, or does he "know that he does not know" (to paraphrase Socrates)? What's the worst thing he's done since becoming president?

A. I think he believes that it's not important to be intellectually curious — that's for intellectuals. As far as the worst thing he's done, I'd say it was to hijack 9/11 and use it for his own political agenda. After 9/11 this country was more united than I'd ever seen it. And almost the entire world was behind us. He squandered an opportunity to lead this country and the world into a new American century. It's sad.

intercst

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.