Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://boards.fool.com/one-gtt-signal-was-updated-by-fred-aw...

now updated though March.

two of these look good but unemployment rate stuck at 4.1% since October. This should be watched closely. Because if it stays that way much longer it will be signalling a recession. I will start cutting back if the other two go south or unemployment stays this way for more than another 2 months. These signals are not part of my mechanical timing system because I can not quantify them, more early warnings. Like thunder, warns of a danger but does not say whether the storm will pass you by or hit you. So it is not highly actionable.

OTOH we may just have reached the point where 4.1 % of the unemployed may say they are seeking work but actually don't want work at any salary close to their skill level, or are unwilling to move to areas where jobs are plentiful. There must be a percentage of people that fit this but we have no idea of the exact figure .
I have a friend who lives near the Permian basin in West Texas. A real boom town area. He says nearly anybody who is breathing can get a job the same day they apply. Truck drivers are scarce and highly paid, but you have to pass a drug test, disqualifying many who would rather have their drugs than a job.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.