Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Fred,
Your initial purchase/option position paid you 3.1% gain in 1 month if called. Granted a 27% annual rate is impressive, but is the 3.1% gain enough for your purchase decisions? It isn't for me. I requre at least 10% total return (upside, dividend,premium) with a minimum 2%/month return. I want to get paid for making good decision.

If you want to own stock, do you really want to sell it for a 3% gain?

I'm long CHK since Jan 16, but have waited for price appreciation to write a covered call on my position. I'm going to wait a little longer before selling covered calls as CHK is still below the MFIV buy below price. When I do write the option it will be for $40's or $45 (at least 10% upside from the current price).

As for you current situation: One of my options rules is to never give the money back. If I repurchased a $1.00 option for $3.20 then I'd sell another option for at least $2.20. A Jan 08 35 for $2.80 would meet my requirement. Your new ARIC would be 22.8% (2.1%/month) for the entire investment. $5.35 upside, $1.20 net option premium and $.24 dividend.

John

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.