No. of Recommendations: 3
fredinseoul:

<<<I will be 62 this month and will start receiving Social Security checks in April. I'm hoping to live on my pension from work, invest each month's S.S. check, and then withdraw my S.S. application when I turn 66 and immediately reapply so I'll be eligible to receive full retirement benefits>>>

"Unless you have new information, you can't do this. If you apply at 62, whatever your dollar amount is the amount you will draw for the rest of your life. There is a calculator at ssn.gov. You need to play with it."

I think perhaps you are not understanding the OP, or you are mistaken. Intercst wrote about this concept not long ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122803270_pf.html

If you are a husband who has claimed early, there is a way to reverse that decision. You can formally withdraw your application, pay back the benefits received (but no interest) and reapply, according to Social Security's Mark Lassiter.

http://retireearlyhomepage.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5004&sid=1feac6d1b740b1a6327a798c104e479f

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.